Wednesday 7 January 2009

EEEEEEK

I promised Scottie I wouldn't obsess/dwell/panic/have anxiety attacks over this, but I can't help being who I am. Yesterday I got some destressing news. A friend of mine who graduated with me from Edinburgh, who currently has a job over there working for the University as a Teaching Assistant and as a part time office assistant, and who has more money than me (read: a stock portfolio and didn't have to take out any loans EVER) got denied for the Post Study Work Visa. DENIED! When I asked what the reasons were, he said 'due to insufficent funds.' I asked how much he showed on his statements, and he said 'almost $9,000'. All you need for the visa is £2,800, or roughly $6,000 (in the days when the pound was actually quite strong). So insufficent funds?

I didn't have quite that much, but well over the $6,000 needed (they don't have to know that 90% of that is going to pay off my loan). For all intents and purposes, he is like me- has an National Insurance number, a place to stay, a UK bank account, graduated with a Masters degree, meets all the requirements.

So I freaked.

Still freaking.

Today I got an e-mail from the LA British Consulate saying they had recieved my documents and would process my visa. According to them, it would take no longer than 2 days. But it also said it could also take up to 15.

So I will be finding out soon I guess.

I'll be hiding under the coves.

2 Throwing Stars:

erin - heart in ireland said...

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you. Wow, the UK is much stricter than Ireland when it comes to visas. I guess because the Post Study one is for 2 years as to 6 months?

Leashie said...

Yeah, we get two years to try and find a company to sponsor us or someone to marry us...then I think I will have exhausted all legal options of a permanent life in the UK.
xx

Template by:
Free Blog Templates