Wednesday 13 May 2009

is EUROVISION!

I am obsessed with this. I never knew what Eurovision was until last year ( I know, how did something so amazing escape me for so long?!?) but when I saw it, I was hooked.

For those in not Europe, Eurovision is a 'singing' competition where all the European Nations (and some I didn't even know were considered Europe, such as Israel, Turkey, Russia and Andorra(?)). They try to flog it as the 'best singers in Europe competing' but really, it's all a big jokey cheese fest. Last year, Ireland's entry was a singing turkey (puppet) who just took the piss out of the whole competition. Countries like the UK, France, Germany, and Spain, and the Hosting Country automatically get put in the final because they fund the whole project. And since you're not allowed to vote for your own country, you see a lot of political voting- Iceland always votes for Denmark, Finland always votes for Norway, and no one ever votes for the UK. Probably because we never really consider ourselves 'European'.

But voting aside, the real meat comes from the 'I can't believe what I'm seeing/hearing' performances, which sadly, this year are few. At least from the first semi-final. Here are the best I could find





and I actually quite liked Armenia's but they don't have a good video up yet.

2 Throwing Stars:

Kira said...

i liked Latvia's pirate song from last year. can you find a clip of that? do you do requests?

xx

erin - heart in ireland said...

ohhhh eurovision! i forgot how awesomely hilarious it is! and dustin the turkey last year was just ridiculous!

Template by:
Free Blog Templates