Wednesday 5 November 2008


Ranting mood...can you tell? Politics just bring out the very worst of me. As do stupid people.

So, for the past week I've been working at a hospital. A big one. And I thank Jebus and all my lucky stars for my good health every day I'm at work, because holy hell do I NEVER want to be incarcerated in a British hospital.

First of all, there's the smoking. Yes, they SMOKE AT THE HOSPITAL! And not like 50 yards away from the entrance or anything, which is law in CA, but RIGHT FUCKING NEXT TO IT! AND, they have SMOKING BAYS INSIDE THE HOSPITAL DOORS so that people can smoke and not get wet when it's raining, but only in a manner that means that all incoming patients, workers, and visitors have to walk through their smokey haze first. Awww, bless.

Next are the wards. Now the concept of a ward is something that I've only seen in period movies between about 1950 and1850. A big, long room filled with sick and dying patients and nurses in little white hats, white dresses, and aprons. Then I came to the UK. Sadly, Scottie's grandpa has a mild heart attack a few months ago and we visited him in the ward...a small room filled with 8 other patients shitting themselves, drooling, coughing, sneezing, and looking and sounding like all over hell. This was a big culture shock for me. When my grandpa was in hospital, first for cancer and then for the amputation, he had a room he shared with one other person, a window, and a privacy curtain. Scottie's grandpa was telling us that he had to get up at 5am to use the one and only toilet every morning before the other patients turned it into a festering fecal pit. And how is it people are supposed to get better this way?

Then of course are the sanitary conditions. England is a bit worse than Scotland, and every year there are out breaks of MRSA- aka the Hospital Superbug that apparently flys around killing patients. MRSA is caught when wounds are improperly cleaned, where fecal matter is present, and, where people in general don't wash their hands and then go play surgeon. And many people die. For fucks sake, it's a HOSPITAL! Use fucking rubbing alcohol! And stearlise things!

Hence, the past week I have been a little OCD about washing hands.

Moral of story- you're damned in discriminating CA and you're going to die in the UK. Canada, here I come!

0 Throwing Stars:

Template by:
Free Blog Templates