Tuesday 11 November 2008


Public transportation is one of those wonderful inventions that can provide equal amounts of entertainment and agony. I personally love all forms of public transportation (minus that 11 hour bus ride from York to Heathrow that I paid with my soul in order to save £12) because of how unique it is in the States. Oh sure, you have places like Chicago and New York that have functional subways and trams, but for the most part, the US was designed with cars in mind, and the only people who take public transportation are the old, the cracked out crazy, the homeless, or all of the above- which really makes the whole 'look at me, I'm being green AND saving money AND being an all around better person than you, Mr Hummer2 yuppy!' pretentiousness aura not seem worthy. I've even had a friend who had a harrowing experience on a public bus which may have involved a gun. And the buses in the US (at least San Francisco) smell like urine and bad BO.

But Edinburgh has fantastic public transportation- they even (and I am sure this is the case all over the UK) give out FREE newspapers every morning to make your morning commute a little more interesting. And everyone loves free things! The buses don't smell, they come ever 5-10 minutes, and call me a Yank, but I can't get enough of sitting upstairs in a double decker.

That said, you still gets your moments of entertainment. My co-worker was telling me a bus story the other day. It was just after work and crowded to capacity, which means that trying to negotiate your way off and on to the bus is like an intricate dance of trying to make yourself 40lbs skinnier, not being rude and shoving, but also trying to make the doors before they snap shut. As my co-worker was making her way to the exit, her work satchel much have rubbed against a young man, because he turned to his partner and in a loud voice announced to the front of the bus that 'that lady just touched my nob!'. My co-worker, who has just spent a long 10 hour day dealing with idiots at the hospital said that she was over come with a moment of rage so fierce that she whipped around, and in a louder voice stated 'In your dreams, little man!' before realising what she had just done and fleeing the bus to the sound of uproarious laughter.

Today I had the opposite. A sparsely filled bus and the 'I can't shut the hell up' dude. This guy ( or gal) is generally 'one of those types' that is so involved with themselves and their own world that they are oblivious to those around them who are silently sending them telepathic death wishes. This guy could not stop talking on his mobile. In a VERY LOUD VOICE that made sure that all of us were privy to his conversation. First he had a long chat to his friend about needing to borrow money, and then how he was going to buy a lot of computer software (with borrowed money I suppose). Immediately after his friend hung up (and probably went off to stop his bleeding ears), he phoned up another person to demand why that person didn't answer their phone at 12, and then again at 5! The nerve! He then went on to whine about how the dance teachers are intimidated of him since he writes formal complaints against them (he was like 30something with a dark brown beard and waist length long bleached blonde hair who was doing dance at a community college apparently)...JEBUS, get OVER yourself.

But sadly, I have to leave the conversation to catch my next bus home.

Does anyone feel the urge to learn as much personal information about people when they're yapping away on their phones?

2 Throwing Stars:

Agent Elle said...

Oh my God. I bow to you. This is not only downright hilarious, but it's also true. I use public transport myself, much to my dismay (one day I'll get my ass into gear and learn to drive.) But the WORST commuters EVER are:

Chavs who blare crap music like mobile discos and expect us all to want to listen to their sped-up club shit.

And people on the phone. 'I'M ON THE TRAIN NOW! YEAH! OOO I'M ABOUT TO GO UNDER A TUNNEL!'

There are plenty of other commuter types, but those are the ones who make me want to resort to stabbing.

Leashie said...

Ohhh, I forgot about the chavs!! For some reason, they feel that everyone wants to listen to their techo/rave music as sung by chipmunks! Or midget chipmunks even. I could easily kick them in the face, and yet they seem to never fear me...just manage to annoy the hell out of me..
xx

Template by:
Free Blog Templates