Friday 19 December 2008

Man, being back home has made me lazy. Because my day either revolves around driving crazy granny around to places she thinks she recognises, or sitting on the couch crocheting, I have had nothing really to write about. So today, I'll go with eyes.

I have a friend who is only 2 years older than me and wrote a "I shoulda, coulda, woulda' list. This list (I'm sure to be ongoing), was of all the regrets she had when she was younger, and while there weren't too many (she's only 26), one of them was "I should have started using eye cream earlier". What? At 26? But then, who am I to ignore the "Man, I wish I...when I was younger" advice. But eye cream? Most of those are targeted at people like my mom-

So then here's the crux- do I cave in, listening to the advice of my older friend, and end up spending hundreds a year (seriously, those eye creams are like $30 and last like a month!), or do I laugh it off as a genetic flaw that my friend has and refuse to give a cent of my hard saved money to the booming cosmetic conglomerates until I'm at least 30.

Preemptive assault, or waste of money?

So I got to searching. I read somewhere that Evening of Primrose oil is nature's pure and natural way to save your eyes and make you 1,000 years younger, so I went out and did what I could- I found a bottle of evening of primrose capsules for ingestion and tried poking them with a safety pin, then spreading the viscous oil inside. First thing I noticed was the smell. So did Scottie. And while I only used it a few nights and thus have no idea how well it will/did/can work, I think it might be one that I used only when I have a cold.

Next came the store-bought creams. But a lot of them where zonks expensive and contained Parabens- and thanks to a Channel 4 programme on how toxic we're making ourselves (plus the archaeological insider knowledge I have that bodies these days are decomposing slower than they were 100 years ago due to all the preservitives we are eating/absorbing) I am trying my bestest to avoid parabens as much as humanly possible.

Having failed at the pure oil and at store bought creams, I started looking at the posh ones. Clinique, Origins, Estee Lauder....
But then I saw the the list of ingredients filled not one, not two, but 3 sides of the packaging! What?!? Now while I'm not exactly an all natural, all organic health freak, I am wary of putting something with 2,943 ingredients on my face next to my eye. So that was a negative.

I have a feeling that this will be something that I am going to obsess over for probably the next 2 decades, by which time I will probably have stressed myself out so much that my face will look like I should have been using eye cream way back in my twenties.

1 Throwing Stars:

erin - heart in ireland said...

i love your blog! i just found you on 20sb and i'm totally in the same boat. i just finished my MA in ireland and am trying to figure out what to do next. i'm working in an office at the university where i got my MA and while i don't mind it, it has made me realise i don't belong in an office!

enjoy your holidays at home :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates