Tuesday 4 August 2009

July 27 2009

I woke up hoping my luggage would arrive. I went down at 9:00 for breakfast. The hotel has a breakfast buffet full of cold meats, cheeses, fruit, the most delicious sliced tomatoes, and fresh bread. I decided to be bold and try something called a Viennese egg. Bad choice. It was like a soft boiled egg, only more runny and served in a cup instead of the shell. But I ate it anyway and pretended it was delicious, espeically since The Dad had decieded to copy me. And I don't think he was very impressed wither.

We walked to the Old Town and it was awesome. White a lot of the original buildings date back to the 1200 and 1300s, a lot of them have been remodelled in the Baroque style during the late 16th and 17th century.






The centre of the town is an old market square, surrounded by large Baroque town houses that are now posh restaurants and cafes. In one corner is the Church of St. Mary, and opposite that is the large Cloth Hall with the town square clock tower. The whole place has the feel of San Marco square in Venice.







We went inside the church of St. Mary and you can sure tell the difference between UK and Continental churches. The interior was completely painted. Dark blue ceilings dotted with thousands of gold stars, bright red and bright green everything covered in gold! Gold statues, gold decorations, and most importantly, a large gold triptych of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary at the apse alter.



Next we went on a city tour by electric golf buggy. These appear to be very popular and people are constantly asking you if you would like a city tour in them. The buggy drove us all over to the main tourist focal points and an English recording told us all the facts and dates of each one. Then we walked around looking for a place for lunch, but all the places we found were cafes that only serves drinks and snacks. Because it seems like everyone just sits around drinking cocktails! We finally found this one place that was connected to a hotel, and OH MY GOD, the portions were MASSIVE. Luckily I decided to share a plate with The Mom because what came out was the size of a plate. I also ordered a beer, and it too was massive.

It came out in a large 2 pint stein! So well watered and well fed, we went on to hotel. It was 5 by this time and I wanted to buy some more clothes since my luggage STILL hadn't arrived and I was getting smelly walking around in all the glorious, sun drenched heat. Off to the mall again! I got back by 7 and took a nap. At 8 we went to check out the jacuzzi and sauna. I couldn't use the jacuzzi because of all the chemicals in it, but made use of the sauna. We left to eat at 9:30. Since we were still pretty full from our massive lunch, we only ordered a starter and dessert. I got a salad with olives, sundried tomatoes, and cheese and it was one of the best salads I've ever had! No wonder the place was recommended in the Michelin guide. For dessert, I went for the blueberry mouse which was very interesting. More like a whipped cheese with blueberry filling. We finished up around 11:30 and then headed to bed.

0 Throwing Stars:

Template by:
Free Blog Templates